Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Journey into the Abyss

The weather gets colder, Christmas shopping begins, and most importantly Ski season begins. My favorite season is winter and one of my favorite winter activities is Skiing and Snow Boarding. Two years ago I went to mammoth mountain to go skiing with my brothers and my cousins. Back then I had only started skiing for a year and was at an intermediate level, however I thought that I was better. It was a beautiful blue day and we were enjoying the opening of the ski season. One of the times going up the mountain with the gondola's we decided to go to a more advanced part of the mountain that we had not yet been too. Once we got up to that part of the mountain it was all trees, narrow pathways, and diamond cuts. Diamond cuts are especially hard to ski down because you have to constantly swerve around them at high speeds. It was me, my middle brother and my crazy cousin and we decided to go down anyway. As we started going down we kept falling down and soon realized that we had got more than we bargained for. We decided that we were intelligent, and that we should take a detour around the mountain through the forest, avoiding any warning signs labeling them unnecessary.                                                                                                             Right before we went around the signs the first thought that went through my mind was that I am Armenian, therefore it is acceptable to go past these signs. As we passed the signs and got further into the forest we started to notice that our steps were going deeper into the snow and we started losing our path. We stopped to think for a second weather to go back or not and all of a sudden my cousin yelled and pointed at a distance. It was a cave and a sign read 
At that moment we decided that we had indeed gone a little beyond our heads and that we were not ready to party with bears just yet. We turned our paths and went back in the direction we came luckily finding our way back. This taught me a great deal. For example overconfidence is dangerous, signs are made for a reason, and that bears are terrifying.

1 comment:

  1. LOL my favorite line: Right before we went around the signs the first thought that went through my mind was that I am Armenian, therefore it is acceptable to go past these signs.

    ReplyDelete