Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Introduction to English

         When I came to America in 1999, I did not know any English what so ever. I was 6 years old and everyone either spoke English or Spanish, and I spoke neither. At first it felt strange, almost like I was on a different planet. The people looked, acted, and their culture were all new to me. My parents both worked full-time at my dad's uncles shop, so I was there with them every day. Eventually we got a TV in the office  to defeat my boredom and growing appetite for American junk food, however the TV didn't help the latter. As a child you could guess my favorite things to watch was cartoons, and one in particular that appealed to me was Tom and Jerry for a few reasons. One it is a silent cartoon and there is no talking and it could be universally understood, and two it bore a striking resemblance to a Russian cartoon I used to watch. Tom and Jerry however didn't teach my the language at all, in fact it was the Bugs Bunny cartoons that truly taught me some English. It is a simple yet educational cartoon and though I didn't understand all of it at first, slowly I began to piece things together. In a couple of months I had started to become fluent in English with the help of school and of course Bugs Bunny.                                                                                 
       

1 comment: